Alimony refers to the payments made from one spouse to another during and after divorce. Alimony is executed separately from equitable distribution. As a prospective part of divorce, alimony is used to balance any differences in both parties' capability to earn money. Its specific purpose is to allow both parties to live the same standard they had grown accustomed to during the marriage.
As an East Brunswick divorce lawyer at the Law Offices of Ryan E. Gilbert, LLC, I have the experience and resources to help you protect your rights during an alimony case. Call my firm at (866) 760-6430 for trusted guidance in spousal support matters.
New Jersey Alimony Laws
New Jersey has a specific law regarding alimony that has come to be known as "double dipping." If retirement benefits are treated as assets during property distribution, they cannot be used later for purposes of alimony.
The following are commonly awarded:
- Pendente lite alimony: Given temporarily before final judgment.
- Permanent alimony: For dissolution of long-term marriages.
- Limited duration alimony: Payable only for a set time.
- Rehabilitative alimony
- Reimbursement alimony
Depending on what is needed in the specific circumstances of your case, my firm can help you determine which type of alimony is best for you. Trust your financial future to a seasoned spousal support attorney in East Brunswick!
How Is Alimony Determined?
When alimony is considered, the family court uses discretion before making any awards.
The judge will take into account:
- Duration of the marriage
- Parental responsibilities
- Standard of living during marriage
- Each spouse's financial contributions
- Needs of requesting spouse
- Ability of other spouse to pay
In New Jersey, there are no specific alimony guidelines that must be followed. With the assistance of my firm, I can do everything in my power to ensure your protection and financial stability. With nearly two decades of experience, I have developed the necessary skills to help you navigate your case.
At Law Offices of Ryan E. Gilbert, LLC, our goal is to guide you through the complex legal process. Your best interests are our top priority. We will provide nothing less than our honest, professional opinions, giving you the information and resources needed to make the best possible decisions.
- Over 20 Years of Legal Experience
- Proven Track-Record of Successful Cases
- Honest & Practical Representation
- Easy Access to Electronic Files & Documents at All Times
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Contested Divorce
- Divorce Options
- Domestic Violence & Family Law
- Father's Rights
- High Net-Worth Divorce
- Joint Custody
- Legal Custody
- Military Divorce
- Modification of Child Custody
- Modification of Child Support
- Modification of Spousal Support
- Physical Custody
- Property Division
- Spousal Support
- Uncontested Divorce